Happy First Week of Summer!!
I remember the summer right before I started junior high. Most of my days were spent laying out by the pool at my bff Emily’s house listening to No Doubt and Mariah Carey. I remember her moms coming home from a big shopping trip around lunch time with everything for an impromptu party for us ~ no reason other than to celebrate the first day of summer. They had fresh sub sandwiches, dessert and a ton of pool accessories. It was perfect. I think about that day every June on the first day of summer.
I wanted to share this slow cooker recipe for BBQ pulled chicken that is way easy to make and tastes ahhh-mazing for a summer BBQ. Set it up in the morning and let the crock pot work magic and in a few hours the juicy barbecue chicken will just fall apart with the tap of a fork. I added some summer slaw, a fresh Brioche buns and served it alongside watermelon, sweet corn-on-the-cob and a blended strawberry watermelon margarita (recipe coming). This recipe gets used a lot around here and is tasty the next day too.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 12oz BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- 5 jalapeños
- Brioche buns
- Summer slaw from deli
- In a mixing bowl stir BBQ sauce, Italian dressing, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce.
- Place chicken in a slow cooker/crock pot on low heat and drizzle honey over chicken.
- Pour the BBQ sauce mix over the chicken. It should cover most of the chicken.
- Cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
- While chicken is cooking, roast jalapeños on gas stove top or grill. Add jalapeño to metal skewer and hold over flame (but not touching) until skin is charred. Remove from skewer and place in paper bag for 10-15 minutes to steam.
- When chicken is done cooking, remove each piece and shred with two forks. Dice jalapeños. Place shredded chicken back into slow cooker and mix in the roasted jalapeños. Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve on Brioche buns with summer slaw.