If there’s something my husband probably gets tired of hearing it’s this: I miss San Diego. But I know he feels the same way for so many reasons. Most importantly it’s where we met and fell in love and there’s no shortage of awesomeness. Beaches. Weather. Food. Chillaxness.
Ahh the food.
San Diego has some of the best Mexican food in the U.S. Especially in Old Town. It’s the one must do when I visit San Diego. In fact, I haven’t had a killer margarita since I last visited Old Town with my girlfriends a few months before I got knocked up.
But since I can’t go to San Diego for a margarita, I’m bring San Diego to my casa. Here’s my recipe for a Watermelon Strawberry Margarita that is awesome paired with the Honey BBQ Pulled Chicken with Roasted Jalapeños Sliders I posted on Monday.
- 1/2 cup ~ Cubed watermelon
- 1/2 cup ~ Strawberries
- 2 cups ~ Master of Mixes sweet and sour mix
- 1 cup ~ Hiram Walker triple sec
- 1 cups ~ el Jimador Tequila Reposado
- 1/4 cup ~ Patron Citronge Orange Liqueur
- Splash of Organic Tres Agaves Nectar
- kosher salt to rim glass
- Blend watermelon and strawberries.
- Add sweet and sour mix, triple sec, tequila, and orange liqueur.
- Blend until smooth.
- Run a lime wedge along glass rim and dip the glass in salt.
- Garnish with limes or strawberries.
Here’s a food-hack from the Food Network’s The Kitchen. Cut the watermelon in half, place it on the cutting board open side down, then cut small squares like a tic-tac-toe.
You will end up with sides that look like this but don’t toss them!! Juice or blend the sides of the watermelon to use in the margaritas.
Now someone in San Diego please Fedex me a burrito stat!!